Each week Ben's class has to do two spelling activities as part of their weekly homework. This usually is not Ben's favorite thing to do, however, we have found two activities that Ben loves to do.
#1 the Spellboard app on the ipad. This is great for both me and Ben....we enter his words at the beginning of the week and then he is set to practice and test himself all week! No need for papers, crayons, pencils, or even me!!! Love it!
#2 tic tac toe spelling!!! I just finished reading a book called, Right-Brained Children in a Left-Brained World...a super good read. I bought it because this year we have learned that Ben is very "right brained." Basically, he is a visual-spatial learner not an auditory-sequential learner which makes traditional classroom learning hard for Ben, particularly in reading. Anyway, among all of the great info, the book has suggestions for ways to practice spelling (great for anyone!!!) My favorite is to play tic tac toe, but instead of using x's and o's, you use their spelling words. After 10 rounds where the "cat" did most of the winning, Ben went and got the ipad. I asked him what he was doing and he said, "you told me I had to study my spelling before I went to bed." He didn't even realize that what we just finished doing was study his spelling! He thought we were just playing games!!! So for any of you moms or kids that dislike studying spelling...give it a try!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment