Wednesday, January 26, 2011

a broken heart

The other night I told the kids to get their Valentine's shirts on so I could take some pictures.  Ben was not at all thrilled about this because he is mortified by the shirt I bought him this year.  He claims he will only wear it if I pay him!!!  I told him I would give him a dollar, but he insisted he needed more than that to wear this shirt.  So in my attempt to get him in it, I told him that we could send a picture to his girlfriend. 

Ben has been in love with the same girl since he was in 3 year old preschool!  It has been really cute to watch him and listen to him talk about her. For example one time on the way to the grocery store he told me that he had a problem, one of his friends had stolen her away from him. However, he had managed to get her back, and keep his friend!!!  It has also been cute to see them together, like when he attended her princess dress up birthday party dressed as her knight in shining armor!  But evidently, this fairytale romance had run its course, because when I mentioned her name, he got a very sad look on his face, put his hands together to make a heart shape and then broke the top part of the heart away motioning that his heart was broken.  The poor little guy couldn't even speak.  I felt horrible and asked him what happened, to which I didn't get much response other than she told him that she wanted to break up! 

So, in an effort to cheer him up and get the shirt on him, I told him that this was even more of a reason for him to put on the shirt. It would tell all the other girls what kind of guy he was!  He thought about it for a minute and then put it on!





He now wants to send his picture to all the girls in his class!

3 comments:

  1. Stacy, I love this! Like Ben, Isabel has been concerned with 'romance' since a very young age (I blame all the princess movies from when she was young)!!! Sometimes I worried that I should be doing more to discourage her from thoughts of boyfriends and love so young, but it seemed harmless and kind of cute, so I never made a big deal out of it. I am glad to hear that she is not the only little 'romantic' kiddo in early elementary! :) And, I LOVE Ben's shirt...that, combined with his huge smile, is the perfect ending to the story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have to save that photo for his future rehearsal dinner slide show. :-)

    And our Erin is the same way....she's boy crazy at nearly 7 yrs old. But committed to "Aidan" the love of her life from preschool. I think she has 5 boys who have a crush on her, which is why she told me I better get her "spayed." !!! --Paula C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute. He is such a nice boy. I know some marrigages do not last that long! Sorry about the broken heart Ben, there is still time for her to come around--but not seriously until she is 25 or so (that's what her dad said). =) Mary O

    ReplyDelete